Sunday, November 4, 2012

Butternut Squash Butterscotch Bars

Running Again 

I'm slowly working my way back into longer runs since I hurt my I.T. band. Now my knees only seem to hurt when I run 2+ miles with my dog, Cooper... sorry Coop, only short runs for you from now on!


This afternoon I ran 5 miles in just under 50 minutes- it felt so nice to be back out there for a longer run- I've been in a 3 mile slump for the past few weeks. 

Butternut Squash Butterscotch Bars

Now on to the good stuff! I think this one is a keeper.
Soon there will be lots of leftover squash dishes- this would be a perfect way to use them up. You could even use sweet potato instead.
Recipe adapted from CarrotsnCake



Ingredients

1 c butternut squash- mashed
1 c white flour (you could use whole wheat, I just didn't have any left in my house)
2 c almond meal
3 eggs- beaten
1/3 c agave
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
3 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
smidgen of salt
2 c butterscotch chips

Directions

Preheat your oven to 350 F.
Combine all ingredients except butterscotch chips in large mixing bowl- mix well. (If you are using whole wheat, you will have to use a little less than a cup so it won't be too dry)
Stir in butterscotch chips.
Pour and spread evenly into 9x13 greased baking pan.
Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean- top should begin to brown.
Allow to cool before cutting.
Enjoy!
Makes 24 bars.

And of course Coop was waiting patiently for anything that might drop on the floor.



Baked Falafel


I decided to make falafel for dinner tonight, but I didn't want to fry them. I found a recipe for baked falafel- I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but it was actually surprising good.
I just ate them on the side with some chicken, but they would be really good stuffed inside a pita with some veggies and hummus. 

 
I used the recipe from pickyeaterblog.com

No comments:

Post a Comment