Sunday, March 17, 2013

Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potato Turkey Burgers

Paleo Challenege: Day 12


Karl and I are still trying to figure things out for this challenge. I always make our meal plans for the week, and I use to plan 3 or 4 meals which would get us through the week with having leftovers for lunch and dinner some nights. But apparently that isn't working with this challenge. Last week we had to go to the grocery store 3 times to restock our fridge. I went grocery shopping Sunday and by Wednesday we were out of food.. aka meat and sweet potatoes. Then by Friday, we needed to go back again.

So I've learned that I can't count on leftovers for dinner anymore. I've also learned that I need to start planning our breakfasts as well as our dinners (lunches are always leftovers- THAT I can count on!). Since we aren't just eating oatmeal for breakfast every morning anymore, I am having to do more prepping.  Like shredding 6 pounds of sweet potatoes for hash. And making 2 pounds of chicken breakfast patties.

I'm still trying to find the perfect balance of foods to make my intestines happy too. Too many veggies make it mad, too much grease, too much fruit. Hopefully I'll find a good balance soon.

Here's some of the things on the menu for this week:

Breakfast

Spaghetti Squash Hash
Sweet Potato Hash with Chicken Sausage
Butternut Squash Pancakes (I'm really excited for these!!!)

Dinner

Balsamic Garlic Chicken
Almond Pizza Crust with Salmon
Spaghetti Squash with Meatballs and White (Cauliflower) Sauce
Tuna and Avocado Salad

For lunch today Karl was making a pineapple bacon wrapped burger. Since I'm trying to limit my fruit intake, I opted to switch out the pineapple with roasted sweet potato slices.... and it was AWESOME!

Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potato Turkey Burgers

Makes 2 burgers

Ingredients

1/2 lb ground turkey
4 slices of bacon
1/2 large sweet potato (roasted)
whatever spices you want to season the turkey with ( I didn't use any, but next time I think I'll add in some rosemary)

Directions

Make 2 Xs with the bacon.
Form the ground turkey into 2 patties and place them in the center of each X.
Slice up the sweet potato and cover the top of the turkey.
Wrap the bacon ends over the sweet potato. If you need to, use a toothpick to hold them in place.
I used my George Foreman to cook them. To cook the bacon evenly, I flipped the burgers after about 7 minutes. 

I topped mine with avocado. 

No comments:

Post a Comment