Saturday, March 9, 2013

Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Scallop Tomato Sauce- Paleo

Paleo Challenge: Day 4

CrossFit Open: 13.1-


Proceed through the sequence below completing as many reps as possible in 17 minutes of:
40 Burpees

75/45 pound Snatch, 30 reps
30 Burpees
135/75 pound Snatch, 30 reps
20 Burpees
165/100 pound Snatch, 30 reps
10 Burpees
210/120 pound Snatch, as many reps as possible

I only made it through 40 burpees, 30 snatches, and 30 burpees, so 100 reps. But I figured that would happen. My PR for snatches is 65 lbs... so 30 reps of 75 lbs was clearly not going to happen.
I actually get to do this workout twice. Since it was the first workout for the Paleo Challenge, we will do it again at the end of the 5 weeks to see how much progress we've made. So hopefully I'll be able to hit one or two reps at 75 lbs in 5 weeks!

I'm already over eating all this meat. Meat, meat, meat. I really didn't have to change the way I eat too much for this challenge, the only thing I eat on a regular basis that isn't allowed is steel cut oats. So I'm not expecting to see any dramatic changes or anything. Hopefully a little extra muscle though!

I was craving something different, something new, something not chicken and vegetables. For some reason gnocchi popped into my head. I did a lot of searching online for ideas for a paleo gnocchi. I was trying to find one that used almond meal because I already had some. After looking at at least 7 different recipes I FINALLY found one that used almond meal! I found it on Bam Bam Paleo.

Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Scallop Tomato Sauce

Makes about 4 servings.

Recipe

Ingredients:

2 large sweet potatoes (I left the skin on and it turned out fine)
4 cups almond meal + extra for sprinkling 
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg

Sauce:

1 cup small scallops
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 onion- diced
3 cloves of garlic- minced
olive oil

Recipe:

Gnocchi

Cut potatoes into cubes or coins, boil in a large pot until you can easily stick a fork into it, about 10 minutes or so. Drain and set them aside to cool.

Once they are cool enough to handle, throw them into your food processor or blender with the eggs, salt, and nutmeg. Blend until smooth. I had to do a couple different batches because my blender wasn't big enough. 

I transfered the sweet potato mixture into the big bowl of my kitchenaid mixer. Start adding the almond meal slowly until you have a weird, kind of sticky, dough-like mixture. You may need more than 4 cups of almond meal or less. You want it to stick together, but be careful not to add too much almond meal, or else it could be too dry.

Set oven to 400 degrees.

Sprinkle almond meal onto your countertop and place a quarter of the gnocchi dough on top. Roll the dough out into a thick sausage shape (you may have to sprinkle more almond meal on top) and cut it into bite size pieces. Repeat with the rest of the dough.

Boil a large pot of water and then turn it down slightly- you still want it to be boiling, but not going crazy. If the water is too rough it will just break the gnocchi pieces.

Drop the gnocchi pieces into the water and cook for about 3 minutes or so, I probably did about 10-15 pieces at a time- it will depend on the size of your pot.

Use a slotted spoon to remove the gnocchi, and place them on a greased baking sheet. Pop them into the oven for 5-10 minutes to crisp them up a bit.

Sauce

In a large pan, saute your onions with a splash of olive oil. When they are tender and translucent, add the garlic. A minute or so later add the tomatoes and scallops. Let the whole pan simmer for 15 minutes, until it thickens up a bit.
I really had to work for this meal- it took a long time to prep, it definitely wasn't the easiest thing to make, and in the end you don't even get THAT much food! But it really did hit the spot. It was a nice change, plus it was DELICIOUS! The nutmeg and the scallops definitely made this meal great.

No comments:

Post a Comment