Saturday, August 30, 2014

Homemade Oven Roasted Nut Butter

We love almond butter, we use to go through at least one Costco sized container a week... We'd put it in oatmeal, cookies, brownies, paleo "frosting" (Karl's specialty!), smoothies, or just eat it with a spoon as a quick source of post/pre workout protein. We still always have a container in the fridge, but it lasts us 2-3 weeks now. Actually I think the last one lasted us over a month. Shocking!

Costco is the best deal I've found for almond butter, you get a large 26 oz container for just over 7 bucks. At my local grocery store, you get a 7oz jar for $12+.
However, Costco recalled all MaraNatha Almond Butter and Peanut Butters. Nooo!!! We ruturned the ones we had then I decided I'd try to make my own. I made 3 different kinds: sun butter, cashew butter, and coconut almond butter. 

Homemade Nut Butter

any amount of raw nuts (I used the 16 oz bag at Trader Joe's)
your choice of oil (vegetable oil, coconut oil, sesame oil, ect.)
salt (optional) 

Directions

Heat oven to 300*
Spread nuts out on cake dish (pick a pan with edges)
Add oil to nuts, 1 teaspoon at a time; you want to use the least amount possible. Mix together, add more oil is necessary, ect. 
Once all your nuts at coated speed them evenly in the dish and toss them into the oven. 
Check on them and give them a good stir every 3-5 minutes to prevent burning. It should take about 10-12 minutes. 
If you are adding salt, now it the time to do it- immediatly after your nuts come out of the oven.
Toss them into your food processor and let it do it's thing. Scrape down the sides a few times. It'll roll together into a big clump after a few minutes, let it keep going. After a few more minutes it will get creamy.
**I found that with the sunflower seeds and the cashews I had to add a little bit of oil to the mixer after it had been mixing for a few minutes.

Variations:
I roasted my almonds with coconut oil and added a couple scoops of coconut flakes into the food processor with them. 
You could add maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla...
Finished product: Coconut Almond Butter

No comments:

Post a Comment